January 2023 Smart Energy News

By Pilgrim - January 18, 2023

Firstly some sad news - we are shutting down DevicePilot. Over 7 years we’ve helped customers across a range of industries to make their connected devices deliver truly great service levels, but ultimately couldn’t find enough of these customers to make our business model work. My huge thanks to all the lovely people who have supported us along the way: our investors, our customers, our advisors and most of all our team who have delivered a consistently excellent customer experience. If you’re interested in our IP then please get in touch.

Smart Energy

  • Surprising smart energy facts to start the year:
  • UK Govt on energy
    • Environmental Audit Committee concludes that we need “war effort” mobilisation to increase efficiency, add PV and stop licensing fossil fuels
    • Mission Zero”, the net zero review commissioned by momentary PM Liz Truss, has concluded we should go even faster than planned
  • Rebound effect: A 12y study of 55k homes by Cambridge University uncovered a significant “rebound effect” two years after improving insulation: occupants take most of the benefit as comfort, with energy savings falling to sub-2%. However, they did find sensitivity to energy price, so I hope they keep the study going through these high-cost times. There’s nothing wrong with making homes comfortable - and then further gains can all be savings, if price remains high-enough to motivate reasonable behaviour (which it will).
  • 1.5m tonnes of CO2 a year captured by 2027? First UK plant approved.
  • Sexy charts:
    • How France’s predominantly nuclear generation delivers very low CO2 grid intensity.
    • CO2 trajectory of various countries across the world seemingly showing a clear pattern of CO2 abatement for the more developed ones.
  • Nuclear
  • Making energy pricing more localised, with Locational Marginal Pricing 
  • How the UK could (and likely will) by 2030 require gas for only 1% of electricity generation.
  • A UK butcher’s shop sells pies unbaked to avoid a 4x energy bill. False economy from a systems perspective as it must be more efficient to cook food in bulk.
  • My self-build home battery system (Pylon batteries + Sofar inverter, 12kWh effective, £6k) has now been operating for half a year with a datalogger, from midsummer to midwinter, and here’s the maths:
    • on track to pay back in ~4.4 years, at today’s prices
    • 82% of the financial benefit comes from shifting cheap off-peak so I can avoid using expensive on-peak electricity, with the remaining 18% from storing excess PV (otherwise spilled to grid).
    • My house is effectively off-grid for the whole of the on-peak period (04:30-00:30) except on overcast winter days where the lack of sunshine means the battery goes flat around 6pm and the house starts to import.
    • Behaviour change: When considering an energy-intensive task, instead of thinking “is it sunny right now?” we now ask “is it a sunny day today in general, even if not right now?”.
    • Next step: +7kW more PV! Then probably more batteries.



I'm planning one final newsletter in February before we shut down in March... so until then,




See how DevicePilot can make the difference


Industry leaders trust DevicePilot to help them improve the quality of the service they deliver at scale.

  • Eliminate revenue loss
  • Deliver a better service with the same human resource
  • Focus on growth and not firefighting
  • Get customer satisfaction through the roof

Book your personalised demo now and discover how DevicePilot can help you scale your connected business

Erik in a circle-1

Erik Fairbairn, CEO at POD Point:
Achieved 99% uptime across device estate

"We're totally data driven at POD Point, and if we can answer a question using data then we think that’s the best way - there’s no guesswork and you can use the facts.

Our DevicePilot dashboards have really let us get that actionable insight out of our devices."