This is my tenth monthly IoT update.
What happens in Vegas:
- This year's CES delivered plenty more Internet of Shit
- Even as the battle of the ecosystems continues, the big consumer vendors announced they'd collaborate on IP-based home IoT standards via Project Connected Home over IP (CHIP).
- See also our related 2016 paper IP-to-the-edge.
- And the Open Connectivity Foundation announced its first compatible devices too.
- Don't expect too much from these initiatives soon as there are many layers of interop to resolve (especially up at the top of the stack, e.g. schemas) before any chance of everything "just working" together.
IoT Security news:
IoT Communications news:
- Interesting things are afoot regarding open-sourcing IoT hardware and software, to build a complete IoT tech stack which is safe to use because it's a) not controlled by any single commercial entity, and b) inspectable, all the way to the bottom
- Berkeley's RISC-V open CPU architecture is aiming to give ARM a run for their money
- The Titan project aims to create an Open Source "root of trust"
- The Open Source Hardware Association OSHWA has a process for certifying open source hardware
In other news:
Meanwhile at DevicePilot towers:
- New partner Jungleworks integrated their Tookan logistics app with DevicePilot and we now have joint customers using the combination to schedule service of their connected devices.
- New partner EMnify has integrated DevicePilot for easy provisioning and control of IoT devices globally
- Teska Labs offers solutions for cyber-security and privacy
- provides end-to-end integrated & managed IoT sensor solution for companies looking to digitalize their operations
- tracks invisible fine dust and chemicals in your air and gives you personalised recommendations to help you stay safe and healthy.
Breaking news: We just released our new "Capability and Maturity Model" report – answer just 20 questions and receive a free, personal, confidential report scoring your maturity against your IoT stage, in 9 dimensions, suggesting specific actions and content to help prepare you to execute your next stage brilliantly. I recommend trying it!
Do send me your news, and have a great 2020.